Back to 1911-20






Gilbert Wildman-Lushington
1. Name Gilbert Vernon WILDMAN-LUSHINGTON
2. Date Commissioned 1 September 1905
3. Date retired Killed in flying accident at Eastchurch 2 December 1913
4. Rank Temp Captain 15 April 1913
5. Awarded wings 5 December 1912
6. Flying schools Central Flying School , Upavon. 17 August 1912
7. Aircraft types flown Short Biplane, Maurice Farman, Caudron No. 40, Bristol 70hp, Gnome Short
8. Decorations None
9. General Wildman-Lushington was originally one of the four officers selected for flying training in 1911 out of 200 Naval Officers who applied. This followed an offer made by Mr Frank K. McLean of the Royal Aero Club in February 1911 to allow the Navy free use of two Short Biplanes for training pilots at Eastchurch. Unfortunately he went sick in the March and his place was taken by E.L. Gerrard who thus became the first Royal Marine to qualify as a Naval Aviator.

In 1912 the Central Flying School opened at Upavon, one of the Instructors being Gerrard. The first course included three R.M. Officers, Wildman-Lushington, I.T. Courtney and C.E. Risk. All three were awarded their flying certificates on 5 December 1912 and Wildman-Lushington's is on display in the R.M. Museum.

On completion of training he was posted to the Naval Wing of the R.F.C until 7 May1913 when he was posted to HMS Hermes and was based at the Isle of Grain. Whilst at Eastchurch in October/November 1913 he gave dual instruction to Winston Churchill who was then First Lord of the Admiralty.

He often visited Eastney by air and for his convenience a small temporary hangar for three aircraft was built on the seaward side of the then Sea Service Batterv. His take off path was usually across the Musketry Range between the 100 and 200 yards firing points and the glacis.

On 2 December 1913, Captain Fawcett who had gained his wings in the August visited him at Eastchurch. Wildman-Lushington took him for a flight towards Sheerness but on return to Eastchurch the machine sideslipped into the ground whilst landing and Wildman-Lushington sustained a broken neck and was killed. He was buried in Christchurch Cemetery on Portsdown Hill with full military honours.

Fawcett was only slightly hurt and continued in the R.N.AS. until 29 December 1918 when he also was killed.